La Casita’s preschool year begins the third Wednesday of August and ends the last Friday of May. During the school year, La Casita follows the Santa Fe Public School’s calendar. Delays or cancellations due to weather are the same as the Santa Fe Public Schools. If there is a two hour Santa Fe Public School delay the preschool opens at 10am. You can check our homepage for an alert or https://www.kob.com/closings/ in the event of inclement weather and unsafe driving conditions.
The morning program begins at 8:30am and ends at 12:30pm. This time is largely spent outside at the moment while we do our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in New Mexico. Even during these winter months, the students at La Casita spend hours playing outside.
While outside, children grow in strength and confidence as they tackle the swings, slide, fort, monkey bars and tree. They dig and build in the sandbox, play chase and mimic family life in the play house.
While it is especially cold we hold meeting time inside providing children with the opportunity to practice speaking and listening skills, and to learn songs and dances that will stay with them for life. We investigate growing things, discuss hot topics of the season and count as a group.
After meeting time, children move freely between the block and art room, and are able to engage with art projects, tactile materials such as play dough or gak, role-playing, and toys such as fake food, puppets, dress up costumes, and wooden blocks for construction.
When inside time ends we all go outside for lunch. Right now we ask that every child bring a packed lunch and snack to school each day. When the children have eaten their lunches they are free to continue their outside play until they are picked up for the day.
A limited number of children may stay until 3:30pm on Monday—Thursday. Since it is a longer stay, these children have rest time and activities after lunch. Each child gets ready for their nap or rest and are read two stories by a teacher. After a period of quiet resting or sleep, the group gathers and chooses whether to work on art projects in the art room or play outside. Fridays we offer a half day and the school closes at 12:30.
School Year Calendar 2022-2023
- August 16 — First day of school for new families
- August 17 — First day of school for returning families
- September 5 — Labor Day, School Closed
- TBA — Fall Workday
- October 10 — Indigenous Peoples’ Day/Fall Break, School Closed
- October 20-21 — Parent/Teacher Conferences, No School for Students
- November 8 — Election Day/Teacher Planning & Prep, No School for Students
- November 23—25 — Thanksgiving Break, School Closed
- December 19—30 — Winter Break, School Closed
- January 2 — Winter Break, School Closed
- January 3 — Teacher Planning & Prep, No School for Students
- January 16 — Martin Luther King Jr Day, School Closed
- February 16—17 — Parent/Teacher Conferences, No School for Students
- February 20 — President’s Day, School Closed
- March 20—24 — Spring Break, School Closed
- April 7 — Teacher Planning & Prep, No School for Students
- TBA — Spring Workday
- May 26 — Last Day of School, Doorway to Summer Celebration